National Funding Programmes
MoST is a ministry of the Chinese government which coordinates science and technology activities in the country. MoST is the major funding agency of the central government that supports several national level science and technology programmes.
Its funding programmes are as follows:
- National Basic Research Programme (973 Programme)
The National Basic Research Programme, also called “973 Programme”, is a major Chinese national research programme launched by the MoST in 1997. The 973 Programme gathers strong expertise with a focus on key basic research projects in the field of agriculture, energy, information technology, resources and environment, population and health, and materials, among others, in order to develop China’s research capacity in key disciplines and interdisciplinary fields, and find comprehensive solutions to major issues in China’s development. The programme is open to EU partners of the Chinese lead applicant and each side provides its own research fund. Foreign applicants can receive Chinese funding only if they are working at a Chinese host organization (university, research institute, or company).
- National High-Tech Research and Development Programme (863 Programme)
The National High-Tech Research and Development Programme, also called “863 Programme”, is a major Chinese national research programme launched by the MoST in 1986. The 863 Programme focuses on the application of cutting-edge technologies in certain key areas in the “National Long-term Scientific and Technological Development Plan (2006-2020)”. It aims to strengthen the independent innovation capacity of China in the high-tech fields and supports pre-commercial high-tech projects. Only overseas Chinese (including those with foreign nationality) and Chinese from Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan holding a formal position with an eligible organization in mainland China can be project applicants.
- EU-China SME energy conservation and emission reduction research collaboration fund
The Sino-EU SME Energy Conservation and Emission Reduction Scientific Research Collaboration Fund launched by the Chinese MoST aims to support Chinese SMEs to collaborate with EU enterprises and research institutes and carry out joint research, technology transfer and re-innovation, commercialization of research results in the field of energy conservation and emission reduction to promote China’s technological advancement. Applicants should be registered SMEs in China which have established partnerships with EU organizations in the field of energy conservation and emission reduction technologies.
Other funding opportunities from MOST include:
- National Key Technologies R&D Programme
- National S&T Major Projects
- National S&T Major Projects – Advanced Digital Control Machines and Fundamental Manufacturing Equipments
- National S&T Major Projects – Breeding of New Variety for Transgenic Biology
- National S&T Major Projects – Core Electronic Devices, High-end General Chips and Fundamental Software
- National S&T Major Projects – Key New Drug Innovation
- National S&T Major Projects – Large-scale Development of Oil & Gas Fields and Coal-bed Gas
- National S&T Major Projects – Mega-scale Integrated Circuit Manufacturing Technologies
- National S&T Major Projects – Next Generation of Broadband Wireless Mobile Networks
- National S&T Major Projects – Waste Water Control and Treatment
- Agriculture S&T Achievement Industrialisation Fund
- National New Products Programme
- National Soft Science Research Programme
- International S&T Cooperation Programme (ISTCP)
The NSFC was set up under the State Council in 1986.
It coordinates and financially supports basic research and applied basic research, and aims to identify and foster scientific talents in China.
- International (Regional) Cooperation and Exchange Programme – Major International (Regional) Joint Research Programme
Major International (Regional) Joint Research Programme is one of the sub-schemes of the International (Regional) Cooperation and Exchange Programme of NSFC. It aims to speed up the development of scientific innovative research, to enhance China’s international competitiveness in basic research, to consolidate the cooperative relationship between NSFC and overseas scientific institutions, and to foster a group of distinguished scientists who have great international influence.
Other funding opportunities provided by NSFC include:
- General Programme
- International (Regional) Cooperation and Exchange Programme
- International (Regional) Cooperation and Exchange Programme – Research Fellowship for International Young Scientists
- Joint Funds Programme
- Joint Funds Programme – Joint Fund of Astronomy
- Joint Funds Programme – Joint Fund of Civil Aviation Research
- Joint Funds Programme – Joint Fund of Iron and Steel Research
- Joint Funds Programme – Joint Fund of Research utilizing Large-scale Scientific Facilities
- Joint Funds Programme – NSAF Joint Fund
- Joint Funds Programme – NSFC-Guangdong Joint Fund
- Joint Funds Programme – NSFC-Yunnan Joint Fund
- Joint Funds Programme – NSFC-Xinjiang Joint Fund
- Joint Funds Programme – Joint Fund of Coal
- Joint Research Fund for Overseas Chinese Scholars and Scholars in Hong Kong and Macao
- Key Programme
- Major Research Plan
- Young Scientists Fund
CAS is a leading academic institution and comprehensive research and development centre in natural science, technological science and high-tech innovation in China.
CAS provides support to promote the exchange of researchers between CAS and international institutes.
- Fellowships for Young International Scientists
CAS Fellowships for Young International Scientists aims to facilitate academic exchanges and cooperation between CAS institutes and international institutes and universities, and development of talented scientists by attracting young international scientists to conduct cooperative research at CAS institutes for 12 months. Applicants should choose their research projects/ co-researcher and their host institute of CAS.
Other funding opportunities provided by CAS include:
- Einstein Professorship Programme
- CAS 3 – Visiting Professorships for Senior International Scientists
CSC is a non-profit institution affiliated to the MoE. With different types of funding programmes, it offers financial support to Chinese citizens studying abroad and to international students and scholars studying in China.
The main CSC programmes opened to European researchers include the following:
- CHINA/UNESCO – the Great Wall Fellowship
It is a full scholarship programme set up by MOE for candidates recommended by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). It is only available to applicants who come to study as general scholars and senior scholars. Applicants shall apply to the National Commissions for UNESCO in their home countries.
Other funding opportunities offered by CSC include:
- Chinese Government Scholarship Scheme
- Distinguished International Students Scholarship
- University Postgraduate Programme
For further detail of each of these programmes please access the following link from the ChinaAccess4EU project: http://www.access4.eu/China/274.php
Chinese Mainland Regional Programmes
In Mainland China, there are several regional agencies providing science and technology research funds to the researchers. Among them, the major funding agencies include Beijing Municipal Commission of Science and Technology (BMCST), Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (STCSM) and Guangdong Provincial Department of Science & Technology (GPDST). Each of these agencies has special programmes dedicated to international cooperation.
For further detail of each of these programmes please access the following link from the ChinaAccess4EU project: http://www.access4.eu/China/777.php