Title: Urban clusters impact on regional Air pollution and climate and generic visualisation software for satellite data applications, AeroVis
Description: The main themes of this project are:
• the development and implementation of a generic satellite data visualization software for visualization of air pollution and climatic data.
• the study of air pollution and climate over China using long timeseries of satellite observations, with emphasis on the impact of rapidly expanding urban centers on regional air quality and climate; a political and economic theme of huge importance for China.
Urban clusters have become a prominent political and economic topic in China. Increased numbers of medium and small cities increase of population, intensive urbanization and anthropogenic activities are the main features in these regions. All these resulted in increasing pollutant emissions and serious air pollution. Furthermore, anthropogenic aerosols may impact regional climate indirectly, through their effects on cloud formation and precipitation. Part of the project work will focus on a better understanding of the distribution of sources for major air pollutants, particularly aerosols, in the selected region and their impact on climate.
The research effort in the project will enable a better understanding of the urban sources of air pollution and of the effect of anthropogenic aerosols on the climate. Moreover the project will determine the needs of the research community and key potential clients (e.g. ESA) regarding data visualization and the interface between the actual data (as made available by the satellite data provider) and the visualization software. Experience gathered from previous cooperation among consortium partners will be used to implement advanced visualization software for long time series of air pollution and climate data.
The main features of the software will be:
• Google Earth compatibility
• ability to select time periods of interest and visualize (in the form of movies) evolution of air pollution and climatic data, providing unique insights in the seasonal evolution of pollution plumes, teleconnection patterns etc.
• ability to export data in ASCII for potential users
• ability to interface with smart phone Apps
- DRAXIS Environmental Technologies S.A.
- Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Environmental Engineer, Laboratory of Atmospheric Pollution
- Anhui Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics
- Fudan University
- Beijing Huirenhui Scientific-Technical Company Ltd
Further information : firstname.lastname@example.org