This DRAGON-STAR event, organised by China Science and Technology Exchange Center (CSTEC) of MoST, and with the support of the European Commission, was held at Brussels on 28 April 2015. The Forum’s over 100 participants included a large Chinese delegation, and a broad range of stakeholders from both sides ranging from policy makers and researchers to industrial and business actors.
The event was opened by DRAGON-STAR’s coordinator (Mr Epaminondas Christofilopoulos), and the high level representatives from the European Commission and China (Mr Costas Glinos and Mr XING Jijun), that highlighted the joint efforts for deepening the bilateral cooperation, especially as this year it is the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the EU and China, first established on 6th May 1975.
The Forum included successful examples of cooperation initiatives, testimonials of successful FP7 projects with important Chinese participation, selected opportunities for enhancing future R&I cooperation, and a dedicated panel discussion on sustainable urbanization. Moreover, the Forum included the award ceremony of DRAGON-STAR’s innovation award, which was granted to selected bilateral teams for the excellent cooperation and substantial technological outputs.
The different presentations and discussions illustrated the potential for further enriching the EU-China cooperation in research and innovation towards addressing our common societal challenges and improving the competiveness for European and Chinese enterprises
Check out the presentations, participants list and photos!
Session 1: EU-China R&I cooperation: from FP7 to Horizon 2020
Overall China-EU R&I relations
European Commission: Kostas Glinos, Head of Unit, Strategy, EFTA and enlargement countries, Russia Asia and Pacific’, Directorate-General for Research & Innovation, European Commission
China: China Science and Technology Exchange Center, XING Jijun, Deputy Director General, China Science and Technology Exchange Center (CSTEC) / MoST
Examples of successful cooperation initiatives
1. EU-China Aviation cooperation
2. EU-China initiative on Food, Agriculture and Biotechnology (FAB)
- Nicolas Dandois, Policy Officer, DG Agriculture and Rural Development
- Feng Dongxin, Deputy Director General Department of International Cooperation, CAAS
Session 2: Success Stories of EU-China R&I Cooperation
Testimonials from projects on results, impacts and future cooperation
- POREEN project: Partnering Opportunities between Europe and China in the Renewable Energies and Environmental Industries, Francesca Spigarelli, Università degli studi di Macerata, Vice Rector for Entrepreneurship and Technological Transfer
- I-REDD+ project: Impacts of Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation and Enhancing Carbon Stocks, SU Yufang, Deputy Director, Associate Professor, Center for Mountain Ecosystem Studies, a joint Center between Chinese Academy of Sciences and World Agroforestry Center (ICRAF), hosted by Kunming Institute of Botany.
- COLTS Project: Casting of Large Ti Structures, YANG Rui, Professor, Director, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- CACHET II: Carbon dioxide capture and hydrogen production with membranes, CAI Rui, Professor and Director of Sci&Tech Department of Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Session 3: Promoting excellence in EU-China cooperation
- Opportunities of Chinese S&T Funding for European Participation, LU Rongkai, DDG of International Bureau, NSFC
- Framework Conditions in China, Sara Medina, SPI
- Joint Research Establishments in China, LI Daoliang, professor, China Agricultural University (CAU), China
Session 4: Perspectives for future cooperation: the challenge of Sustainable Urbanization
EU Member States – China cooperation on Sustainable Urbanization: SFIC initiative and bilateral good practices
- SFIC and the China initiative: Olivier Steffen, Coordinator of SFIC core Group
- “Spotlights” on bilateral good practice between EU Member States and China, on the topic of sustainable urbanization:
– VITO project on air quality, Lisa Blyth Project Co-ordinator, Atmospheric Modelling Team (BE)
– Beautiful Beijing, Hiltunen Matti, Tekes (FI)
EU Call on Urban Mobility: DG MOVE, Henriette Van Eijl, Policy Officer, Unit Research and Innovative Transport Systems, EC, DG MOVE
Case Studies on Sustainable Urbanisation in China and EU
- Tongji University: LI Keping, Professor
- Huazhong University of Science & Technology: HU Song, Professor, China-EU Institute for Clean and Renewable Energy